Friday, May 05, 2006

How to start the OSGI console?

Yesterday, I posted two bugs for 3.2. For both bugs I got the reply I should use the osgi console to get some information. In one case to get the loaded plugins and in the other case to get a stracktrace of all threads. So, how to start the osgi console?

I found the Gathering Information About Your Plug-in page.

On windows you have to start eclipse with java.exe (instead of javaw.exe) in odrer to ge a console window. Therefore, add -vm C:\YOURVMPATH\bin\java.exe tho the eclipse start command (or shortcut). To get the OSGI console -consol as startup parameter.

Now to see all plugins (and the state of the plugins) simply type ss into the console. To get a stracktrace of all threads hit ctrl-break in the console window (I had a hard time finding the break key on my keyboard. it's the top right key on my keyboard)

4 comments:

  1. Actually, you don't have to explicitly specify -vm. If you use -console or -consolelog (unrelated), the native launcher (eclipse.exe) will use java.exe instead of javaw.exe to start Eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simpler way is to add -console in the eclipse.ini and let the exe find java.exe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post it cleared up some plugins for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks it is a good support, now to start the osgi console? is definitely simple utilizing your recommendation. Thank you

    ReplyDelete